Journal of Energy Technology and Environment 4(4) 2022 pp.1- 11
Assessment of Surface Water Quality Duyen Hai District, Tra Vinh Province, Vietnam
Tran Thi Kim Hong and Nguyen Thanh Giao
The study was carried out to assess surface water quality in Duyen Hai district, Tra Vinh province at 7 monitoring locations from NM1 to NM7 with the parameters studied inclue including pH, total suspended solids (TSS), dissolved oxygen (DO), biological oxygen demand (BOD), chemical oxygen demand (COD), ammonium (N-NH4+), nitrate (N-NO3–), phosphate (P-PO43-), iron (Fe) and coliform to assess surface water quality in the years2020 and 2021. Surface water quality is assessed through comparison with the national technical regulation on surface water quality column A1 (QCVN 08-MT:2015/BTNMT). The study has applied statistical methods including cluster analysis and principal component analysis to group monitoring locations with similarity in the concentrations of parameters and determine the influencing parameters on surface water quality. The study results showed that the water quality in the study area appeared polluted in both years. Compared with column A1, all water quality parameters exceeded the allowable limits of QCVN 08-MT:2015/BTNMT (except pH parameter).Cluster analysis (CA) analysis has grouped from 7 monitoring sites into 3 monitoring groups, reducing 54% of monitoring costs for future monitoring programs. The results of the principal component analysis (PCA) analysis in the years 2020 and 2021 showed that there were 81.3% and 93.3% of surface water quality changes explained by three PCs and four PCs, respectively. All parameters used in the study should be further monitored in the upcoming monitoring program. Causes of pollution in the study area could originate from natural factors, acid sulfate soil, decomposition of plant residues in water, waste from agricultural and livestock production, farming, aquaculture and saltwater intrusion
Keywords: surface water, nutrition, coliform, organic matter
Cite this article as: Tran Thi Kim Hong and Nguyen Thanh Giao. (2022). Assessment of Surface Water Quality Duyen Hai District, Tra Vinh Province, Vietnam. Journal of Energy Technology and Environment (NIPES), 4(4), 1–11. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7442741
- Nguyen Thanh Giao and Huynh Thi Hong Nhien, 2021. Application of GIS and Multi-Criteria Statistical Techniques in Assessing Water Quality in the Coastal Province of Vietnamese Mekong Delta. Applied Environmental Research. 43(3): 17 – 33.
- Bui Anh Thu and Tran Thi Thanh Thanh, 2015. Cooperation between Vietnam and countries downstream of the Mekong River in water security issues associated with sustainable urban development in the Mekong Delta. Science Journal of Ho Chi Minh City University of Education. No. 10 (76): 66 – 77.
- Tra Vinh Department of Natural Resources and Environment, 2020. Report on the current environmental status of Tra Vinh province for the period 2016 – 2020.
- Nguyen Van Sanh, Nguyen Ngoc Son, Vo Van Tuan and Le Dang Khoi, 2010. Research on Tra Vinh water resources: Current status of exploitation, use and solutions for sustainable use management. Journal of Science Can Tho University. 15 (b): 167 – 177.
- American Public Health Association (APHA), 2012. American Water Works Association (AWWA) & Water Environment Federation (WEF). Standard Methods for the Examination of Water & Wastewater, 22nd Edition.
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, 2015. QCVN 08-MT:2015/BTNMT National technical regulation on surface water quality.
- Hajigholozadeh, M. & Melesse, A.M, 2017. Assortment and spatiotemporal analysis of surface water quality using cluster anddiscriminant analyses. Catena, 151: 247–258.
- Feher, I.C., Zaharie, M and Oprean, I., 2016. Spatial and seasonal variation of organic pollutants in surface water using multivariate statistical techniques. Water Science & Technology, 74:1726-1735.
- Liu, C. W., Lin, K. H. and Kuo, Y. M., 2003. Application of factor analysis in the assessment of groundwater quality in a Blackfoot disease area in Taiwan, Science of the Total Environment, 313: 77–89.
- Nguyen Thanh Giao and Huynh Thi Hong Nhien, 2022. Using Multivariate Statistical Methods to Identify Key Surface Water Pollutants in the Dry Season in a Coastal Province, Vietnam. Vietnam Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 5(2): 1480 – 1490.
- Mekong River Commission, 2015. Lower Mekong regional water quality monitoring report. ISSN: 1683-1489. MRC Technical Paper No.51.
- Dinh Diep Anh Tuan, Bui Anh Thu and Nguyen Hieu Trung, 2019. Assessment of the current state of surface water quality for water exploitation and supply for Soc Trang city. Journal of Science Can Tho University. 55(4A): 61-70.
- Nguyen Van Ut Be, Le Tan Loi, Ly Hang Ni and Ho Kieu Tran, 2017. Evaluation of water quality in ditches using Acacia hybrid and Melaleuca cajuputi in U Minh Ha, Ca Mau. Scientific Journal of Can Tho University. Topics: Environment and Climate Change. 1: 79-85.
- Nguyen Thanh Giao, Truong Hoang Dan and Huynh Thi Hong Nhien, 2021. Survey of water quality in Tram Chim National Park. Journal of Science and Technology, 408:163-170.
- Nguyen Thi Kim Lien, Lam Quang Huy, Duong Thi Hoang Oanh, Truong Quoc Phu and Vu Ngoc Ut, 2016. Water quality in main and tributary rivers of Hau river route. Journal of Science Can Tho University, 43: 68-79.
- Ly, N.H.T., and Giao, N.T., 2018. Surface water quality in canals in An Giang province, Viet Nam, from 2009 to 2016, Journal of Vietnamese Environment 10(2): 113-119.
- Chea R., Grenouillet G. and Lek S., 2016. Evidence of Water quality degradation in Lower Mekong Basin Revealed by Self-Organizing Map.
- Ratpukdi, T., Sinora, S., Kiattisaksiri, P., Punyapalakul, P. and Siripattanakul-Ratpukdi, S., 2019. Occurrence of trihalomethanes and haloacetonitriles in water distribution networks of Khon Kaen Municipality, Thailand. Water Supply, 19(6): 1748–1757.
- Kazi, T.G., Arain, M.B., Jamali, M.K., Jalbani, N., Afridi, H.I., Sarfraz, R.A. and Shah, A.Q., 2009. Assessment of water quality of polluted reservoir using multivariate statistical techniques: A case study. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 72(20):301-9.
- Boyd, CE., 1998. Water quality for pond aquaculture. Research and development series No. 43 August 1998 international center for aquaculture and aquatic environments Alabama agricultural experiment station Auburn University.
- Duong Thi Truc, Pham Huu Phat, Nguyen Dinh Giang Nam, Pham Van Toan and Van Pham Dang Tri, 2019. Surface water quality of the Tien River flowing through Tan Chau territory, An Giang province. Science Journal of Can Tho University, topic on Environment and Climate Change, 55 (2):53-60.
- Le Nhu Da, Le Thi Phuong Quynh and Pham Thi Mai Huong, 2019. Evaluation of agricultural wastewater quality in Dong Anh district, Hanoi.
- Nguyen Mau Thanh, Tran Duc Sy and Nguyen Thi Hoan, 2015. Analysis and evaluation of iron content in oysters in Nhat Le river area, Quan Hau town – Quang Binh. Journal of Science and Education, Hue University of Education, 1(33), 111-117.
- Pham Van Hung, Tran Hong Tram and Nguyen Thi Kieu, 2022. Current status of E.coli and coliform contamination in products of some bottled drinking water production facilities in Hanoi in 2020. Vietnam Medical Journal. Episode 515 (2): 54 – 57.