NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research 4(4) 2022 pp.137- 151
Design and Construction of a Double-Sided-Double-Line LED Matrix Display
Bello N. & Obasohan O.
This paper describes a hardware and software design of a double-sided display of a dynamic message (alphanumeric characters) in a light-emitting diode (LED) matrix, from conception, design, dimensioning to realization. The development ensured the possibility of changing the scrolling text, adjusting the brightness, speed of the scrolling and setting the time and date displayed and projected as sound from an Android application. This study explores the design of scrolling dot matrix display systems using PIC18F2620 microcontroller, ULN2803 driver and shift registers. The brilliant design allows dynamism of displayed text on two sides controlled through Bluetooth from the Android application developed with Xamarin Studio which is all basic, quick and financially savvy therefore providing a solution to the laid-back paper-based notification system.
Keywords: Dot matrix, double-sided-double-line, double-sided, LED, PIC microcontrollers, shift registers, Xamarin Studio
Cite this article as: Bello N., & Obasohan O. (2022). Design and Construction of a Double-Sided-Double-Line LED Matrix Display. NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research, 4(4), 137–151. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7415533
- Agilent (2001). Introduction to the driving LED matrices, Agilent Technologies, Inc., Maio 2001.
- Avago (2013). Introduction to driving led matrices [Online] Available at: https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/AV02-3697EN?ICID=I-CT-TECH-RES-CLA-SEP_21-0 (accessed 8th September 2016).
- Boi-Ukeme J. (2008). Design and construction of scrolling LED matrix display, (Bachelor’s thesis, University of Benin).
- Alexander, A. (2015). Design and Construction of a Programmable Scrolling LED Matrix Display; (Bachelor’s thesis, University of Benin).
- Greenfield, J. (1999) “Digital Electronic Design”, Oxford University Press,4th Edition; 1999.
- Kesparis, C. (2003). “Electrical and Computer Engineering”, Central Florida, USA, 7th Edition; 2003
- ITEAD, (2016. DIY Kits [Online] Available at: https://www.itead.cc/wiki/Serial_Port_Bluetooth_Module_%28Master/Slave%29_:_HC-05 (accessed 6th September 2016).
- Singh, K.R., Manzoor, S., Shukla, R., Alung, A. and Aggarwal, P., (2015). Keyboard Driven Electronic Notice Board. International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science Vol, (03), Pg46-47 ISSN (online): 2348-
- Aspencore Network, (2011). Introduction to driving LED matrices [Online] Available at: https://www.eecom/blog/avago_technologies/introduction-to-driving-led-matrices (accessed 6 September 2016).
- Vintage Technology Association, (2016). LED Display Literature review. [Online], Journal of Electronic Engineering, Dempa Publications, Available at: http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/articleview.php?item=879 www.studymode.cm/essays/Led-Display-Literature-Review (accessed on 7th September 2016)
- Verle, M., (1998) PIC microcontrollers-programming in C. MikroElektronika, 1st edition
- Barnett, R.H., Cox, S. and O’cull, L., (2003) Embedded C programming and the microchip PIC. Thomson Delmar Learning.
- Borat, B. (1997) A Course in Digital 6thEdition.Wiley, Pg2-4,12,19.
- Embedded Lab, (2013). MAKING A 8×40 LED MATRIX MARQUEE USING SHIFT REGISTERS [Online] Available at: http://embedded-lab.com/blog/making-a-8×40-led-matrix-marquee-using-shift-registers/ (accessed 4th September 2016)
- Habibu, H., Chukwu, E.C., Latifa, Y., Haris, M.Y. and Okosun, O.E., (2019). Design and Implementation of an SMS-based dynamic matrix LED Display Board. 121-131