NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research 4(4) 2022 pp.152- 163
Design and Fabrication of An Automatic Temperature Control Lithium-Ion Battery Charger
Oriaifo A. P. & Muhammed A. A.
This study presents the design and construction of an automatic lithium-ion battery charger that monitors the temperature of the lithium-ion battery during charging and sends a signal to the relay to cut off the power supply from the battery terminal if the battery temperature rises above 45°C which is the maximum allowable temperature for charging most lithium-ion batteries. This charger also has an auto-cut-off circuit that cut off the power supply from the battery terminals upon fully charged with LED indicators to indicate when the battery is charging and fully charged. The system comprises a 220/15V AC stepdown transformer, LM317T, ATMEGA 328P microcontroller, LM35, and a 16×2-bit liquid crystal display monitor. In order to ensure optimal performance of the circuit, the battery charger was used in charging the 12volt 14Ah lithium-ion battery, the battery was exposed to various degrees of temperature to simulate a rising battery temperature. Above 45°C the trip signal was triggered and the LCD monitor displayed a message which prompts the user to cool the battery temperature.
Keywords: Lithium-ion, Battery charger Temperature monitoring, DC power supply, ATMEGA328P
Cite this article as: Oriaifo A. P., & Muhammed A. A. (2022). Design and Fabrication of An Automatic Temperature Control Lithium-Ion Battery Charger. NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research, 4(4), 152–163. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7415666
- Kereena, N. Brundha and S. Kumar, “Vehicle Battery Charger Booth using Hybrid Power System,” International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, vol. 6, no. 6 june 2019, pp. 380- 384, 2019.
- “Uses of Battery,” 2022. [Online]. Available: https://byjus.com/physics/uses-of-battery/. [Accessed 17 08 2022].
- Electronics-Notes, “Lithium Ion Battery Advantages & Disadvantages,” 2022. [Online]. Available: https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/electronic_components/battery-technology/li-ion-lithium-ion-advantages-disadvantages.php. [Accessed 17 08 2022].
- Md.Sazib Molik, MM Rashid, A Hasan, “Temperature effect and battery charging characteristics based on C-Rate,” International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology, vol. 9, no. 3rd October 2019, pp. 159-164, 2019.
- Lai and X.-q. Lu, “Smart Battery Charging System Based on ATMEGA128 Microcontroller,” International Journal of Information and Computer Science, vol. 3, pp. 90-93, 2012.
- Melanie. J. Loveridge, “Temperature Considerations for Charging Li-Ion Batteries: Inductive versus Mains Charging Modes for Portable Electronic Devices,” ACS Energy Letters, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1086-1091, 2019.
- S. y. L. D. l. J. Z. h. a. L. W. Gao Xiao qun, “Parking intelligent charging management system and method for time-sharing charge control”. China Patent N102097843A, 2011.
- N. P. W. a. D. S. a. S. S. a. B. R. D. a. S. V. R. Ramadesigan, “Modeling and simulation of lithium-ion batteries from a systems engineering perspective,” Journal of the electrochemical society, vol. 159, no. 3, p. R31, 2012
- a. K. Y. a. W. Y. a. W. Y. a. K. Y. Inui, “Simulation of temperature distribution in cylindrical and prismatic lithium ion secondary batteries,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 2103-2109, 2007.
- A. a. F. M. M. a. S. J. R. a. A.-H. S. Khateeb, “Design and simulation of a lithium-ion battery with a phase change material thermal management system for an electric scooter,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 292-307, 2004.
- Larsson, P. Andersson and B.-E. Mellander, “Lithium-Ion Battery Aspects on Fires in Electrified Vehicles on the Basis of Experimental Abuse Tests,” Battery Safety, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 9-22, 2016.
- Ovbiagele Umahon; Jerome Dada Keshi, “Design And Implemetation of 12V Automatic Battery Charger,” International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Research, vol. 6, no. 11th November 2018, pp. 129-131, 2018.
- Krishnamurthy, Rashmi Varma, Sonali Tribhuvan, “Automatic Battery Charger,” international journal of advanced research in computer and communication engineering, vol. 3, no. 5th may 2015, p. 5, 2015.
- E. A. U. CN Udezue, “12V Portable battery Charging System,” Pacific Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 17, no. 1st May 2016, pp. 5-11, 2016.
Mohamad Fathi Elias, A.K Arof, K.M Nor, “Design of Smart Charger for sereis lithium ion batteries,” Research gate, vol. 7, no. 2nd December 2005, pp. 1485-1490, 2005.