Development, Testing and Optimization of a Melon (Citrullus lanatus) Seed Washing Machine
Aremu, A. K., Akanji, A. I.b, Ajao, T. O.
A melon seed (egusi) washing machine was designed, developed and evaluated for performance in coring edible melon seeds out of the pods, which are strenuous, time-consuming and tedious operation. The machine has a capacity to process 300kg of melon seed pulp in an hour powered by 2 hp, 1410 rpm single-phase electric motor. The melon seed (egusi) washing machine was made up of the following main units; hopper, washing chamber, bearing, screw conveyor, brush, electric motor and main frame which act as supporting base. The performance characteristics of the machine include: cleaning efficiency, output capacity and percentage seed recovery, were evaluated at three operating speeds (282, 325 and 423 rpm) and three feed rates of 2kg/60sec, 2kg/75sec and 2 kg/90sec. Each treatment combination was performed in triplicates making a total of 27 values. The minimum and maximum cleaning efficiency were 63.77 and 81.54 %, while minimum and maximum percentage seed recovery were 40 and 84 %. The minimum and maximum output capacity were 19.33 kg/hr and 44.47 kg/hr. Statistical analysis was performed with the use surface response optimization and all indicated that, the optimal value for speed and feed rate were 423 rpm and 0.033 kg.
Keywords: melon, melon pod, cleaning efficiency, operational speed, feed rate
How to cite this article: Aremu, A. K., Akanji, A. I.b, Ajao, T. O., Development, Testing and Optimization of a Melon (Citrullus lanatus) Seed Washing Machine, Journal of Materials Engineering, Structures and Computation 1(1) 2022 pp. 59-68
- Oloko and L. Agbetoye (2006). Development and Performance Evaluation of a Melon Depodding Machine. Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR Ejournal. Manuscript PM 06 018. Vol. VIII. [accessed Aug 28 2022].
- Federal Office of Statistics (1998). Annual Abstract of Statistics: 260-262.
- E. Ogbonna and I. U. Obi (2007). Performance of Genotypes in Crosses of Egusi Melon. Journal of Agriculture, Food, Environment and Extension 6: 1-8.
- Sabo, H. Sadou, I. A. Amoukou, M. M. Alma, R. S. Sidikou (2015). Determination and comparison of the amino acid composition of seventeen Lagenaria siceraria varieties and one variety of Citrullus colocynthis seed flours. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 14: 100-106.
- O. Olaniyi, (2008). Growth and seed yield response of egusi melon to nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizers application. American-Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 2:255-260.
- A. Bankole and A. Adebanjo, (2003). Mycotoxin Contamination of Food in West Africa: Current Situation and Possibilities of Controlling it. African Journal of Biotehnology 2(9):254-263
- Aguayo, V. H. Escalona, E. Artes (2004). Metabolic behavior and quality changes of whole and fresh processed melon. Journal of Food Science 69: 148-155.
- S. Sobowale, J. A. Adebiyi, O.A. Adebo (2015) Design, Construction and Performance Evaluation of a Melon Seeds Sheller. J Food Process. Technol 6: 463. doi:10.4172/2157-7110.1000463
- A. Makanjuola (1972). A study of some of the physical properties of melon seeds. J. Agric. Engr. Res. 17: 128–137.
- A. Okolo, S. A. Agun, B. T and A. A Jimoh, (2002). Design and Fabrication of Melon Depodding Machine. World Journal of Biotechnology, 3(2):481- 486.
- A. OGUNLADE, D. O. AREMU, O. A. AKINYELE and N. A. BABAJIDE. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. ISSN: 2248-9622, Vol. 4, Issue 5 (Version 2), May 2014, pp.56-64
- S. Khurmi and J. K. A. Gupta (2005). Textbook of Machine Design (S. I. Units). Eurasis Publishing House (PVT) Limited, New Delhi-110 055.
- P. Smith and L. H. Wilkes (1977). Farm Machinery and Equipment. McGraw-Hill publications in the agricultural sciences, Edition 6, reprint, Published by Tata McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0070995745, 9780070995741.
- Gbabo, J. T. Liberty and O. S. Fadele. (2013). Design, Construction and Accessement of African Locust Beans. (Pakia biglobosa) Dehuller and Separator. International Journal for Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT) Volume 3, Issue 5, November 2013.
- B. Olotu, N. O., Oladipo, A. J. Farounbi, and S. I. Obiakor. (2013). International Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences Vol. 3 No. 3. 2014. Pp.96-100 Development of a Continuous Process Multi-Crop Washing Machine National Centre for Agricultural Mechanization (NCAM), Ilorin-Lokoja Highway, Idofian, Ilorin, Kwara State.