NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research 4(4) 2022 pp.172- 185
Effects of Procurement Documentation Errors on the Cost Performance of Construction Projects in Nigeria
Chukwuemeka Patrick Ogbu, Winifred Enakeno Taigbenu, & Christian Fidelis Asuquo
Considerable efforts have been made in literature to mitigate the occurrence of errors in construction projects without much results. Previous studies on construction errors overly focused on design errors, neglecting errors which may originate from other construction procurement documents. Errors in procurement documents often undermine the attainment of construction project objectives in terms of completion within agreed time, quality and cost. Yet, this phenomenon finds inadequate explanation in the literature. This study was undertaken to evaluate errors in construction procurement documents, ascertain the difference in the impacts of documentation errors in different procurement methods, and determine the influence of documentation errors on the cost performance of construction projects. The respondents, architects, engineers, builders and quantity surveyors (n=81), were selected using convenient and snowballing techniques, and the data were analyzed using severity index (SI), mean score (SC) and Kruskal Wallis test. Based on the respondents’ opinions, errors in project contextual factors have the highest rank in terms of impact on the cost performance of projects followed by errors in project time schedule and design errors. The Kruskal Wallis test confirmed that these three highest ranking errors have significant effects on the eventual cost performance of projects. Clients and project managers should ensure that contextual factors are fully understood by project participants in order to obtain procurement documents that are devoid of errors. This study opines that construction procurement documentation errors should be assessed by their impacts on cost project performance, and not merely by their occurrence.
Keywords: cost performance, construction projects, documentation errors, effect of errors, procurement method
Cite this article as: Chukwuemeka Patrick Ogbu, Winifred Enakeno Taigbenu, & Christian Fidelis Asuquo. (2022). Effects of Procurement Documentation Errors on the Cost Performance of Construction Projects in Nigeria. NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research, 4(4), 172–185. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7418201
- Oladirin,T,O., Ogunsemi,D., & Aje,I. (2012). Role of Construction Sector in Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Nigerian. Futy journal of the environment, 7(1), 1-2. Https://www.ajol.info/index.php/fje/article/view/82770-10.4314/fje.v 7i1.4
- Uwaegbulam, C. (June, 2020, The Guardian Newspaper) As real estate shrinks, construction sector grows Nigeria’s GDP.As real estate shrinks, construction sector grows Nigeria’s GDP — Property — The Guardian Nigeria News – Nigeria and World News
- Olanipekun, A. O., & Saka, N. (2019). Response of the Nigerian construction sector to economic shocks. Construction Economics and Building, 19(2), 160-180.
- Dosumu, O, S., & Iyagba, R, A. (2013) An Appraisal Of Factors Responsible For Errors In Nigerian Construction Documents. Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies and Management 6(1), 50-60.
- Juszezyk, M., Kozik, R., Lesniak, A., Plebankiewiez, E., Zima, K. (2014). Errors in the preparation of design documentation in public procurement in Poland. Procedia Engineering 85(2014) 283-292. https://www.creativecommons.org/liscenses/by-nc-and/3.0/.
- Dosumu, O, S., Idoro, G, I., & Onukwubu, H, N. (2017). Causes of Errors in Construction Contract Documents in Southwestern Nigeria. Journal of construction Business and Management 1(2), 11-23. https://www.journals.uct.ac.za/index.php/jcbm.
- Okuntade, T, F. (2014). Effects of faulty contract on building maintenance. International Journal of Technology Enhancements and Emerging Engineering Research 2(3), 73-79.
- Construction Industry Development Board (2005). Construction Procurement Best Practice Guideline: Preparing procurement documents. Obtained from http://www.cidb.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Preparing-Procurement-Documents.pdf
- Ogbu, C. P., & Asuquo, C. F. (2018). A comparison of prevalence of unethical tendering practices at national and subnational levels in Nigeria. Africa’s Public Service Delivery and Performance Review, 6(1), 1-13.Okuntade, T, F. (2014). Effects of faulty contract on building maintenance. International Journal of Technology Enhancements and Emerging Engineering Research 2(3), 73-79.
- Izuora, Y. (2020, August 21). Inadequate Capacity Responsible For Poor Procurement Implementation – Attah. Oriental News Inadequate Capacity Responsible For Poor Procurement Implementation – Attah – Oriental News Nigeria (orientalnewsng.com)
- Dosumu, O, S., & Aigbavboa, C, O. (2017). Impact of design errors on variation cost of selected building projects in Nigeria. Procedia Engineering 196(2017), 847-856. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.08.016
- Lopez, R., Love, P. E., Edwards, D. J., & Davis, P. R. (2010). Design error classification, causation, and prevention in construction engineering. Journal of performance of constructed facilities, 24(4), 399-408.
- Lopez, R., & Love, P. E. (2012). Design error costs in construction projects. Journal of construction engineering and management, 138(5), 585-593.
- Ogbu, C. P. and Ebiminor, V. B. (2020). Relationship between bill of quantities errors and construction disputes: A multivariate analysis The Quantity Surveyor (March 2020), 66, 43-59 (Journal of the Nigerian Institute of Quantity Surveyors)
- Ayodele, E, O. (2017). Development of a framework for minimizing errors in construction documents in Nigeria. (Doctoral dissertation, The University of Salford). Salford University Research. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Development-of-a-framework-in-minimizing-errors-in-Ayodele.
- Dosumu, O, S. (2018). Perceived Effects of Prevalent Errors in Contract Documents on Construction Projects. Construction Economics and Building 18(1), 1-26. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.5130/ AJCEB.v18i1.5663
- Seeley, I. H. (1997). Quantity Surveying Practice (2nd Edition), London: Macmillan
- Reason, J. (2000). Human error: models and management. Bmj, 320(7237), 768-770.
- Sowers, G, F. (1993). Human factors in civil and geotechnical engineering failures: Journal of geotechnical engineering, 199(2), 238-256.
- Rooney, J, J., Heuvel, V, L., & Lorenzo, D, K. (2002). Reduce Human Error: Quality Progress, p27-36.
- Reason, J.T., Hobbs, A., (2003). Managing Maintenance Error: A Practical Guide. Ashgate Publishing Company.
- Eggleston, B. (2019). The NEC4 Engineering and Construction Contract. Wiley Blackwell.
- Mohammed, R, E. (2007). An exploratory system dynamics model to investigate the relationship between errors that occur in construction documents in Saudi Arabia and their possible causes (Doctoral Thesis, Heriot-Watt University, School of the Built Environment, Dubai, United Arab Emirates). https://www.ros.hw.ac.uk/handle/100399/2794/
- Bureau of Public Procurement (2019). Approved Revised Thresholds for Service-Wide Application-updated. https://www.bpp.gov.ng/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Approved_Revised_Thresholds_for_ServiceWide_Application-updated.pdf
- Plebankiewicz, E. (2018). Model of predicting cost overrun in construction projects. Sustainability, 10(12), 4387.
- Saidu, I., & Shakantu, W. (2017). An investigation into cost overruns for ongoing building projects in Abuja, Nigeria. Acta Structilia, 24(1), 53-72.
- Irfan, M., Thaheem, M. J., Gabriel, H. F., Malik, M. S. A., & Nasir, A. R. (2019). Effect of stakeholder’s conflicts on project constraints: a tale of the construction industry. International Journal of Conflict Management.
- Yay, M., & Akıncı, E. D. (2009). Application of ordinal logistic regression and artifical neural networks in a study of student satisfaction. Cypriot Journal of Educational Sciences, 4(1), 58-69.
- Mahamid, I., Bruland, A., & Dmaidi, N. (2012). Causes of delay in road construction projects. Journal of management in engineering, 28(3), 300-310.
- McKight, P. E., & Najab, J. (2010). Kruskal‐wallis test. The corsini encyclopedia of psychology, 1-1.
- Munyao, M, M. (2016). Influence of Critical Success Factors on Project Performance; A Case of the National Transport and Safety Authority of Kenya. [Master’s Thesis, University of Nairobi].
- Tiong, K, L., Norhayati, Z., Muhamad, Z, M, S., Shoki, M, A., & Choy, S, T. (2014). Using Project Performance to Measure Effectiveness of Quality Management System, Maintenance and Practices in construction Industry. The Scientific World Journal, 1(2014), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/591361.
- Baccarini, D. (2006). The maturing concept of estimating project cost contingency: A review. AUBEA2006: Proceedings. Obtained from https://espace.curtin.edu.au/bitstream/handle/20.500.11937/29634/20840_downloaded_stream_296.pdf?sequence=2
- Endut, I. R., Akintoye, A., & Kelly, J. (2009). Cost and time overruns of projects in Malaysia. Retrieved endut_2014-with-cover-page-v2.pdf (d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net) on August, 21, 243-252.
- Ogunsemi, D. R., & Jagboro, G. O. (2006). Time‐cost model for building projects in Nigeria. Construction management and economics, 24(3), 253-258.
- Love, P. E., Mandal, P., Smith, J., & Li, H. (2000). Modelling the dynamics of design error induced rework in construction. Construction Management and Economics, 18(5), 567-574.
- Regan, M. (2012). Public infrastructure procurement: A comparative analysis of adversarial and non adversarial contracting arrangements. Public infrastructure bulletin, Bond University, Retrieved on, 13(03), 2021.
- Zillante, G., Mikucki, M., Zuo, J., & Jin, X. H. (2014). Documentation quality in construction projects: A qualitative inquiry. In Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium on Advancement of Construction Management and Real Estate (pp. 657-666). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- Love, P. E., Lopez, R., Edwards, D. J., & Goh, Y. M. (2012). Error begat error: Design error analysis and prevention in social infrastructure projects. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 48, 100-110.