NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research 4(4) 2022 pp.27- 39
Integration of Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) Into A University’s Portal
Fidelis Odinma Chete and Roosevelt Abandy
Though universities have web portals that students can visit to get information about their course of study, the web portal contains too many features (personal data, course of study data, payments, hostel allocation, etc.) which become overwhelming for students. In addition, poor internet services and high cost of data subscription has always been responsible for the frustration of students to access information in university portals. This study presents a system that uses Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) and internet technology to help students find specific information in the university portal, seamlessly.
Keywords: USSD, web portals, internet technology, students, universities
Cite this article as: Fidelis Odinma Chete, & Roosevelt Abandy. (2022). Integration of Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) Into A University’s Portal. NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research, 4(4), 27–39. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7391237
- P. Muchiri (2016). Collaborating USSD Platform in Web-Based Student Registration – International Journal of Computing and Technology (IJCAT). 3(9), 428-435
- Crandall and L. Mutuku (2012). M-Governance: Exploratory Survey on Kenyan Service Delivery and Government Interaction. IST-Africa 2012 Conference Proceedings Paul Cunningham and Miriam Cunningham (Eds) IIMC International Information Management Corporation, ISBN: 978-1-905824-34-2. iHub Research pp1-9. Retrieved January 12, 2022 from http://www.ist-africa.org/home/outbox/ISTAfrica_Paper_ref_84_4750.pdf
- Al-Hujran (2012). Toward the Utilization of M-Governance Services in Developing Countries. International Journal of Business and Social Science. 3 (5), 155-160
- P. Muchiri and L. M. Karani (2015). Developing a Campus Emergency Management Information System (CEMIS). International Journal of Computer Trends and Technology (IJCTT). 28 (2), 53-59
- Crandall, A. Otieno, L. Mutuku , J. Colao, J. Grosskurth and P. Otieno (2012) “Mobile Phone Usage at the Kenyan Base of the Pyramid”. iHub Research Report. Retrieved January 11, 2022 from https://pdfslide.net/documents/mobile-phone-usage-at-the-kenyan-base-of-the-pyramid.html
- A. Kawu; A. Abdullahi; E. Joseph; A. Mishra and A. Abdulrahman (2020). MIRCS: A Mobile USSD-SMS Interactive Result Checking System for Resource-Constrained Settings. ICSCA 2020: Proceedings of the 2020, 9th International Conference on Software and Computer Applications, February 2020, Pages 264–268, https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3384544.3384578
- O. Chete and G.C. Josephs (2020). “Towards Minimizing Physical Presence In The Banking Halls During Funds Deposit Using Unstructured Supplementary Service Data.” Journal of the Nigerian Association of Mathematical Physics. 56, 33-46
- Sanganagouda. (2013). USSD: “A communication technology to potentially oust SMS dependency”. Aricent_ USSD_ White Paper. Retrieved January 10, 2022 from https://pdfcoffee.com/aricentussdwhitepaper-pdf-free.html
- Y. Wikedzi , R. S. Sinde and D. K. McIntyre (2014). “System Analysis and Design for integrated sponsored SMS/USSD Based M-Services. A case study of Maternal Health M-Service in Tanzania”. (IJCSIS) International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security. 12 (7), 1-11
- Rosencrance (2020). “USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data)”. Retrieved January 15, 2022 from https://www.techtarget.com/searchnetworking/definition/USSD
- OMG, Uniﬁed Modeling Language v2.5, Retrieved February 12, 2022 from http://www.omg.org/spec/UML/2.5/
- Toorani and A. Beheshti (2008). “Solutions to the GSM Security Weaknesses. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services, and Technologies” (NGMAST’08. 2008: IEEE), pp.576-581, University of Glamorgan, Cardiff, UK, Sep. 2008 [DOI 10.1109/NGMAST.2008.88].
- N. Baraka, S. Anael and, S. L. Loserian (2013). “Security Perspectives for USSD versus SMS in conducting Mobile Transactions: A Case Study Of Tanzania”. International Journal Of Technology Enhancements And Emerging Engineering Research (Ijteee), 1(3), 38-43, ISSN 2347-4289
- T. Krugel (2007). “Mobile Banking Technology Options”.FinMark Trust. Retrieved September 30, 2022 from https://www.gsma.com/mobilefordevelopment/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/finmark_mbt_aug_07.pdf 2007
- Martins (2020). “USSD Top 10 Security Risks For Mobile Payments”. Retrieved September 10, 2022 from https://medium.com/josue-martins/ussd-top-10-security-risk-for-mobile-payments-bcd64d0a34dc
- Chandran (2014). “Pros and Cons of Mobile banking”. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 4 (10), 1-5, ISSN 2250-3153
- Pinto (2021). “How do operators typically charge for USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data)”? Retrieved September 20, 2022 from https://www.quora.com/How-do-operators-typically-charge-for-USSD-Unstructured-Supplementary-Service-Data/answer/Albert-Pinto
- Zhou, M. Herselman and A. Coleman (2015). “USSD Technology, a Low Cost Asset in Complementing Public Health Workers’ Work Processes” : Conference Paper, IWBBIO 2015, Part II, LNCS 9044, pp. 57–64, doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-16480-9_6. Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
- Information Resources Management Association (IRMA) (2014). “Banking, Finance and Accounting: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools and Applications”. IGI Global publishers, p1593, 2014.
- Ledgerwood, J. Earne and C. Nelson (2013). “The New Microfinance Handbook: A Financial Market System Perspective” . p 530