NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research 4(4) 2022 pp.18- 26
Neural Network Prediction of Self-Similarity Network Traffic
Ikharo A. B. and Anyachebelu K. T.
Several factors are found to influence either short or long-term burstiness in Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) flow across many networking facilities and services. Predicting such self-similar traffic has become necessary to achieve better performance. In this study, ANN model was deployed to simulate College Campus network traffic. A Feed Forward Backpropagation Artificial Neural Network (ANN) and Wireshark tools were implemented to study the network Scenario. The predicted series were then compared with the corresponding real traffic series (Mobile Telephone-Network (MTN)-Nigeria). Suitable performance measurements of the Means Square Error (MSE) and the Regression Coefficient were used. Our results showed that burstiness is present in the network across many time scales. With the increasing number of data packet distributions thereby providing a steady flow of burst over the entire period of system load as the traffic network performance improves.
Keywords: Burstiness, Self-similar, Network traffic, Performance, Simulation, Artificial Neural Network, Packet
Cite this article as: Ikharo A. B., & Anyachebelu K. T. (2022). Neural Network Prediction of Self-Similarity Network Traffic. NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research, 4(4), 18–26. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7390658
- Ikharo A. B., Anyachebelu K. T., Blamah N. V., Abanihi V. K. (2020). Optimising self-similarity network traffic for better performance. International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology, 7(4): 164-176
- Wu, C. and Irwin, J. D. (2013). Introduction to computer networks and cybersecurity. CRC Press, New York.
- Rezaul, K. M. and Grout, V. (2010). An overview of long-range dependent network traffic engineering and analysis: Characteristics, simulation, modelling and control. 2nd International ICST Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools http://dx.doi.org/10.4108/valuetools.2007.1892.
- Panarello, C., Lombardo, A., Schembra, G., Meo, M., Mellia, M. and Marsan, M. A. (2016). Network interface power management and TCP congestion control: a troubled marriage. Australian Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. 13(1): https://doi.org/10.1080/1448837X.2015.1093678
- Mohamed, M. M., Kiarash, M. and Mehdi, R. (2014). Modeling of self-similar network traffic using artificial neural networks.
- Kotenko, I., Saenko, I., Lauta, O. and Kribel. A. (2020). An approach to detecting cyber attacks against smart power grids based on the analysis of network traffic self-similarity. Energies 2020, 13, 5031; doi:10.3390/en13195031
- Chabaa, S., Zeroual, A. and Antari, J. (2010). Identification and prediction of internet traffic using artificial neural networks. J. Intelligent Learning Systems & Applications, ( 2): 147-155.
- Dymora, P.; Mazurek, M. (2021). Influence of model and traffic pattern on determining the self-similarity in IP networks. Appl. Sci. 2021, 11, 190. https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/app 11010190
- Fras, M., Mohorko, J. and Učej, Z. C. (2010). Modeling of measured self-similar network traffic in OPNET simulation tool. Informacije, Ljubljana, 40(3): 224-231
- Raimundo, M.S.; Okamoto, J., (2018). Application of hurst exponent (H) and the R/S analysis in the classification of FOREX securities. Int. J. Model. Optim. 2018, 8, 116–124.
- Yasir, S. and Olivia, D. (2015). Modeling website workload using neural networks. arXiv:1507.07204v1 [cs.DC],: 1 – 25.
- Song, H. and Gan, L. (2015). The research on the prediction of the network traffic based on the improved iac-gray method, CHEMICAL ENGINEERING TRANSACTIONS, 46: 1297 – 132.
- Computerweekly.com (2018). Quick and dirty wireshark tutorial. https://www.computerweekly .com/tutorial/Quick-and-dirty-wireshark-tutorial
- Sheela, K. G and Deepa, S. N. (2013). Review on methods to fix number of hidden neurons in neural networks. Mathematical Problems in Engineering. Vol. 2013, Article ID 425740, 11 pages. Hindawi Publishing Corporation. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013 /425740.
- Zhani, M. F. and Elbiaze, H. (2009). Analysis and prediction of real network traffic. Journal of networks. 4(9): 855 – 865.