NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research 4(4) 2022 pp.107- 121
Performance Evaluation of A PV Solar Tracker Panel
Oriaifo A. P. & Akahomen I. E.
Solar energy is the most abundant source of renewable energy and solar panels are used to convert it to electrical energy in homes and industries but fixed panels are not efficient in maximizing the amount of the sun’s radiation it receives hence, the use of solar trackers. This paper presents the evaluation and comparison of the performance of the solar tracker panel over the fixed panels. The designed solar tracker is microcontroller-based using ATMEGA328P, ESF-12F module, light-dependent resistors (LDRs), servo motors, a liquid crystal display (LCD) and solar panels. The experiment was carried out for 20 days between 8 am and 6 pm from the 20th of May to the 9th of June 2021. It was observed that the efficiency of the solar tracker panel outperformed the fixed panel by approximately 43% overall. However, the difference in performance was significant on sunny days compared to cloudy and rainy days.
Keywords: Solar trackers, ATMEGA328P, LDRs, PV solar panels, servo motors, efficiency
Cite this article as: Oriaifo A. P. and Akahomen I. E. (2022). Performance Evaluation of A PV Solar Tracker Panel. NIPES Journal of Science and Technology Research, 4(4), 107–121. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7406810
- P. Kuchekar, “Solar Tracking System For An Automated Water Pump.”. Jounal of Ambient Energy Vol. 34p3-9 2018
- K. Jain, R. Misra, A. Kumar and G. D. Agrawal, “Thermal performance investigation of a solar air heater having discrete V-shaped perforated baffles,” International Journal of Ambient Energy, vol. 43, p. 243–251, July 2019.
- Ponniran, A. Hashim and H. A. Munir, “A design of single axis sun tracking system,” pp. 107-110, 2011.
- Lindberg and J.-P. Mäki, “SKF dual axis solar tracker-From concept to product,” Vol. 4 pp23-34, 2010.
- Vyas and S. Jain, “Development of Automatic PV Power Pack Servo Based Single Axis Solar Tracking System,” IOSR Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IOSR-JEEE), vol. 10, p. 7–10, 2015.
- Lab, “Time based solar tracking system using microcontroller.,” 2017. [Online]. Available: https://microcontrollerslab.com/time-based-solar-tracking-system-using-microcontroller/. [Accessed 19 03 2022].
- J. Rivero, E. Bringas, A. Dominguez and I. Ortiz, “Chemical Engineering European Project Semester: an international proposal for teaching Chemical Engineering,” @tic. revista d\textquotesingleinnovació educativa, vol. 0, December 2014.
- Poulek, “Testing the new solar tracker with shape memory alloy actors,” in Proceedings of 1994 IEEE 1st World Conference on Photovoltaic Energy Conversion-WCPEC (A Joint Conference of PVSC, PVSEC and PSEC), 1994.
- J. Clifford and D. Eastwood, “Design of a novel passive solar tracker,” Solar Energy, vol. 77, p. 269–280, 2004.
- A. Kalogirou, “Design and construction of a one-axis sun-tracking system,” Solar energy, vol. 57, p. 465–469, 1996.
- M. A. Ibrahim, “The forced circulation performance of a sun tracking parabolic concentrator collector,” Renewable energy, vol. 9, p. 568–571, 1996.
- Kacira, M. Simsek, Y. Babur and S. Demirkol, “Determining optimum tilt angles and orientations of photovoltaic panels in Sanliurfa, Turkey,” Renewable energy, vol. 29, p. 1265–1275, 2004.
- E. Hammoumi, S. M. Abdelaziz, E. Ghzizal, A. Chalh and A. Derouich, “A simple and low-cost dual-axis solar tracker,” Energy Science and Engineering, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 607-620, 2018.
- ATMEGA328P, “Atmel Corporation,” San Jose, CA, 2008.
- Borah, R. Kumar and S. Mukherjee, “Low-cost IoT framework for irrigation monitoring and control,” International Journal of Intelligent Unmanned Systems, 2020.
- Ejury, “Buck converter design,” Infineon Technologies North America (TFNA) Corn Desion Note, vol. 1, 2013.
- Karthik, P. V. Karthick, R. R. Thirrunavukkarasu, S. S. Kumar and D. Selvakumar, “Smart Solar Panel using Light Dependent Resistors,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2020.
- P. P. R. K. Dhanalakshmi.V, “Dual Axis Solar Tracker Using Arduino Uno,” International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 386-388, 2016.